Sunday, December 30, 2012

Looking Forward to 2013 !!!

Well, it's been an interesting year, 2012 - got myself a fixed-up heart and I'm feeling pretty good these days - need to still lose a few pounds (well, maybe more than just a few) - but since I started riding again on November 3 (about 2 months after my heart surgery I had on September 10), I've done about 14 rides - only half the number I wanted to do - but hey! - it's a start, anyway...  :)

My most recent ride (today) was with a couple of my old riding buddies, Mike and Ed - it was fun doing the ride with them - and they very graciously stayed with me on those tortuously s-l-o-w climbs on today's ride (Laurel Glen and then Granite Creek).  I started to bonk a bit on those 2 climbs to get back up into Scotts Valley - but it was my longest ride since the heart surgery (29+ miles) and close to 2000 feet of climbing!  Nothing to write home about - but it was a good accomplishment for me - we basically did what we used to call the "Classic Beach Ride" - leaving Scotts Valley, getting down to Santa Cruz via Glen Canyon, then over to Capitola via East Cliff - and then returning the "hard way" - up Old San Jose Road, then up the Laurel Glen climb - down Mountain View to Branciforte - and finally, up the Granite Creek climb to get back into Scotts Valley - here's my Strava recording of the ride:

http://app.strava.com/activities/34842755

All in all, a nice way to finish off 2012 (even though I just might head out for a final New Year's Eve ride tomorrow - just for fun!) ... It's very, very slowly coming back - but my enthusiasm for riding is gradually returning - as I lose some more weight and get back into better cycling shape, I know the enthusiasm will return in full - and that is why I am SO looking forward to 2013 - it's going to be my "comeback year", in many more ways than one!

Keep on riding!

No comments: