Tuesday, December 4, 2007

My Cycling Goals for 2008

Okay, it's time to put it all out there - what I want to achieve in 2008, at least for my cycling "hobby" (or, "infatuation", as my wife describes it!).

Looking at my strengths from 2007, it's clear that I should aim high for any time trials that don't go straight uphill. This would include unsanctioned things like the Beat-the-Clock time trials on Canada Rd, or the Swanton Rd time trials. Of course, there are also the sanctioned flatter time trials - Dunlap TT, TT Championships in Sattley, Esparto TT, etc.

Another strength I observed from 2007 (just based on 4 crits and 2 road races) is that I can do well in those flat crits and flatter road races. However, I'm not super crazy about the crits - they're okay, but obviously quite dangerous - I never got involved in any crashes in the 4 crits that I did, but I sure came close! I got to personally see 2 or 3 good crashes, including 1 or 2 that were very close to me - but that's just bike racing, for sure...

I've identified the flatter road races that I *should* do well in - Snelling, Merco Credit Union Foothills, and Bariani / Zamora for the early season, then Dunnigan Hills, San Ardo, and Henleyville for the later season (and maybe Warnerville, a new road race for 2008, near Oakdale - but there are no details about the course yet).

And my weaknesses that I saw in 2007? Well, climbing - obviously! Anytime the road goes up for more than about 1 mile, I will be at a disadvantage until I can lose a bunch of weight and/or improve my power output in watts. So here are my climbing goals for 2008:

  • San Bruno HC - 22:59 (18:59)
  • Mt Diablo - 1:08:59 (59:59)
  • Old La Honda - 21:59 (18:59)
  • Kings Mtn - 27:59 (24:59)
  • E Hwy 9 - 39:59 (34:59)
  • Mt Hamilton - 1:39:59 (1:29:59)
  • Sierra Rd - 31:59 (27:59)
  • Page Mill Rd - 45:59 (39:59)

Yes, the goals are a bit lofty, especially considering that most of my current PBs on those climbs were set earlier this year, when I actually had climbing legs, which is not the case today. But you gotta stretch, right?

What are the numbers in parentheses, you might be asking? Why, those are my lifetime goals for those climbs - something to shoot for before I die one day... :)

My racing goals are pretty realistic for next year - I'm going to focus mostly on the flatter road races (where I have a chance to place in the top 10) and the flatter time trials, plus some crits. But I'm also going to try my hand at some of the tougher road races and time trials (i.e., hillier) when I feel ready - whatever that means! So, my goals:

  • Enter 6 of the flatter road races, placing in the top 10 for 3
  • Enter 3 of the flatter time trials, placing in the top 15 for all
  • Enter 4 of the tougher road races, finishing at least 2
  • Enter 2 of the tougher time trials, finishing them both
  • Enter at least 6 crits, including 2 hillier ones
  • Enter all Swanton TT races, breaking 33 minutes every time
  • Enter all Beat-the-Clock TT races, finishing in the top 15 for all
  • Earn at least half the upgrade points needed to get into Cat 3

There are also some goals that are the traditional goals I've set each year for the last few years - they are all related to participating in some of the organized bike rides that many of us enjoy doing each year:

  • Death Ride - finish in under 10 hours
  • Santa Cruz Mountains Challenge - finish in under 7 hours
  • Mt Diablo Challenge - finish in under 1:09
  • Enter all the LKHC series climbs and average 100 pts for each

Finally, I have my more immediate goals - the most important of which is to get myself back to the same climbing conditioning I had about the middle of 2007 - and attempt to get there by the first real road race of the season on February 16, Cantua Creek, which I also consider to be one of my 4 tougher road races, since it occurs relatively early in the season - the climbing is not severe, but it will certainly feel like it to me!

Lastly, I want to do well enough in the first half of the season, to consider getting an invitation to join either the Bike Trip or the San Jose Bicycle Club team for the last part of the year, where I can help them in the flatter road races and some crits. My current team, SCCCC, just doesn't have enough serious road racers that want to work as a team - and I've seen that both Bike Trip and San Jose Bicycle Club have road riders with that kind of dedication and teamwork ethics.

That's about it for 2008 - now it's time to get on my bike and start training seriously!

No comments: